Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I wore an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time

My sister-in-law’s Youtube video went (sort of) viral thanks to a tweet from Demi Moore. I was telling this story at lunch to a bunch of teenagers and they wanted to know who Demi was. We racked our brains trying to remember exactly WHY she is famous. Ghost, I suppose. But her other movies weren’t exactly huge hits. She did pose pregnant and naked on a magazine cover, and she was married to Bruce Willis, so I guess there’s that. (And then they wanted to know why Ashton Kutcher would marry her if she’s so old. They definitely knew who HE was.)

Anyway, it was weird to have to answer the question. Kids today know nothing.

Speaking of kids today, the Facebook groups they create are kind of hilarious. You can become a fan of “Everyone’s house has a smell, but I can’t smell mine” and “Sending an important text, then being scared to open the reply you get back.” I remember when that was called “email” but the same idea applies. I really hate that feeling. I try not to send important texts or emails if I can help it. Oh, and this one: “You won't talk to me, I won't talk to you, so why am I happy you're online?” which is also funny ‘cause it’s true.

So 2009 is almost over. All in all, definitely a better year that 2008. The “aughts” as a whole are almost over, too. I don’t know what this decade will be remembered for. Probably social networking and Barack Obama. Internet 2.0. Oh, and 9/11. What kind of crazy stuff is going to go down in the 10s? And when I can I start saying I graduated college in aught-one? Because that is deliciously old-timey.

Labels: Back in the day, Internet, Time Flies

posted by Melanie at 1:38 PM

|

0 Old Comments:

About Me

  • I'm thirty & living in Amish Country, PA. I'm a marketing writer for a non-profit.
  • I'm Mennonite, but not in a head-covered, dress-wearing kind of way. More in a hippy-liberal, peace-loving kind of way.
  • I like books, discussing, thinking, my church, friends, and my family.
  • I'm good at gift-giving, shopping, and writing.
  • I'm bad at meeting new people, cleaning my car, and keeping my house warm.
  • I'm annoyed by people who wear shorts in the winter, create excessive drama, don't recycle, or talk about how fat they are.

      Powered by Blogger

      Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com