Monday, April 10, 2006

Help Me if You Can

Ever since my computer at work got invaded by insidious spyware, I have been having a conversation with Dahli . . . aka Steve.

I “met” him on one of those computer forums, where you can post your problems and someone who knows a lot more than you do will give you instructions. “Download this, extract this, run this and this, and post a HijackThis log.” No matter what else is involved, they always tell you to “post a HijackThis log.” Top thing to do if you have an insidious spyware invasion: download HijackThis.

Anyway, since March 20 Dahli/Steve has been my guide through this "rare and wonderful new world"* of spyware/virus removal. He sends me to download cleaner programs, and I do it. He tells me to post the results, and I do. He tells me to delete C:\windows\system32\stuffyoullnevergetridofwithoutme.exe and I do. I trust him explicitly, and yet for all I know he could be advising me to remove Microsoft Office Suite in its entirety and set the innards of my computer tower on fire.

Well, maybe not. I’d like to think I’m computer savvy enough to catch that.

So, I think I have a little crush on Dahli/Steve. He posts replies to me at odd times . . . so he might be in a different time zone. I wonder about him. He’s probably Indian. Or maybe he’s just an acne-ridden American college freshman who spends most of his time alone in his room, posting on computer help forums.

These computer help forums are great, but I want a Dahli/Steve in other areas of my life, too. So I can post symptoms of any problem on a forum, he’ll tell me what to do, and then the problems, after weeks of posting the results of my errands, will result in a new, clean, and happy situation for all.

*anyone who can tell me the source of this quote will be my new BFF and win a prize. Promise!

posted by Melanie at 3:56 PM

|

2 Old Comments:

Sorry to say but I am not Indian and I am not a college freshman.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:27 PM  

hah!dude helped me today too!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 PM  

About Me

  • I'm thirty & living in Amish Country, PA. I'm a marketing writer for a non-profit.
  • I'm Mennonite, but not in a head-covered, dress-wearing kind of way. More in a hippy-liberal, peace-loving kind of way.
  • I like books, discussing, thinking, my church, friends, and my family.
  • I'm good at gift-giving, shopping, and writing.
  • I'm bad at meeting new people, cleaning my car, and keeping my house warm.
  • I'm annoyed by people who wear shorts in the winter, create excessive drama, don't recycle, or talk about how fat they are.

      Powered by Blogger

      Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com